Live from Chicago Auto Show this morning, Chrysler’s press conference starts by showing off the 2021 Pacifica. We’ll talk more about that in a minute. More importantly, Chrysler also dropped a bombshell, saying the AWD Pacifica is available in 60 days!
Chrysler knew it was going to be a bombshell too, they posted this graphic on their website.
Chrysler Pacifica AWD
Tim Kuniskis, Head of Passenger Cars at Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, mentions during the press conference that there one big thing missing from the Pacifica. The stage was then taken over by an inflatable dome with snowflake lights. Children waved on the flakes to reveal the Pacifica AWD inside the dome.
Chrysler say it’s “The most technically advanced AWD there is.”
An On-Demand AWD system means it only comes on when needed, so the minivan can be completely FWD if no extra traction is needed at that time. This design saves on fuel economy which is something most AWD vehicles somewhat sacrifice.
When slip is determined, the Pacifica’s AWD system is able to send 100% of the power to the rear wheels if needed.
With the Chrysler press conference starting off with the 2021 Pacifica reveal. It also comes as a surprise that Kuniski announces the AWD version of the Pacifica as being available in 60 days (around the beginning of April) on the current model Pacifica.
Stow N Go and AWD still a match
Kuniskis mentions too, that people were concerned if the Pacific were to be AWD, the Stow N Go seats may be compromised. A genuine concern, as AWD and 4×4 systems, means more parts under the vehicle like differentials. Stow N Go seats fold away to create a seamless flat floor in the Pacifica, so the concern was there wouldn’t be enough room for these seats and all the AWD parts. Chrysler figures it out though and so the Pacifica AWD still has the Stow N Go seats.
AWD Pacifica’s are not available in a plug-in hybrid electric model.
2021 Chrysler Pacifica
Made in Canada, the Pacifica is powered by a 3.6L Pentastar V-6 engine with engine stop-start and a nine-speed automatic transmission.
Hybrid versions are powered by a 3.6-liter Atkinson cycle V-6 e-hybrid engine with electrically variable transmission and dual-motor EV drive capability.
New for 2021 model years, Pacifica’s get some updated exterior trim including new LED lighting on the front and rear, a refreshed grille and fog lamps.
All-new Uconnect 5 available with Alexa compatibility on a 10.1″ color touchscreen.
Pacifica now has a total of 97 standard safety features (116 including optional extra safety features).
Standard safety features across all 2021 Pacifica models include;
- Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop and Go: Maintains distance between Pacifica and vehicle in front of it and can bring Pacifica to a controlled stop, if needed
- PAEB: Works in tandem with FCA Gen 5 radar/forward camera/braking system to activate when pedestrians are in vehicle’s path and driver has not taken action to brake
- Forward Collision Warning: Deploys brakes to alert driver about impact risk and assist with driver response
- LaneSense Lane Departure Warning-Plus with Lane Keep Assist: Leverages electronic power steering (EPS) to deliver torque input to alert and assist driver with corrective action and helps guide drivers back into lane if Pacifica drifts out
- Advanced Brake Assist: If inadequate force is applied to brakes in response to signal from Full-speed Forward Collision Warning-Plus, Advanced Brake Assist increases brake force automatically
- Laminated Glass: Plastic inserted between glass panes provides added protection against breaks
- Body Structure: Stronger metal body structure for A-pillar and B-pillar
- Passenger Side Small Offset Rigid Barrier (SORB): New Pacifica delivers improved performance on SORB crush test issued by Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS)
- LED Headlamps: New LEDs light up the night with a balanced beam of light that minimizes glare on oncoming traffic while doubling the light output directly in front of the vehicle
- Supplemental Turn Signals: Signal lamps built into the housing of exterior mirrors allow turn signals to be viewed from the front, sides and rear of the vehicle to alert oncoming traffic and pedestrians
- LED Fog Lamps: Provide improved illumination during inclement weather
- Third-row Lock Out: Locks third-row seating so seats cannot be accidentally stowed or deployed
- Rain-sensing Wipers: Turns wipers on automatically when rain is detected on the windshield
- Automatic High Beams: Turns high beams on and off automatically, reducing glare directed at vehicles in front or behind
A new trim level called PINNACLE
Top of the line, the Pinnacle trim level is described by Chrysler as being, “a modern living room on wheels.”
It comes with pillows!
Yes, you read that right. A car that comes with pillows. Luxury Caramel Nappa leather ones at that, to match the seats. A suede headliner adds yet more luxury. Pinnacle trims also get an Ultra console with more storage space.
With 227.6 liters of total storage in compartments, this gives the Pacifica Best-in-Class total storage. According to Kiniskis, 2nd-row storage bins can fit up to almost 5000 Hot Wheels cars (or 60 gallons of milk) during the press conference.
New polished with Baltic Gray pockets 18″ or 20″ wheels are available on the Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle. Satin Carbon Grille and Platinum Chrome on all exterior surrounds adds more luxury. Moldings and badging are also in Platinum Chrome in place of standard Bright Chrome.
Anyone who’s driven with a screaming baby in a rear-facing seat knows the stress of not being able to see them!
Available on the new UConnect 5 10.1″ screen. FamCAM is a camera that shows a view of rear seats. ‘Zoom-to-Seat’ function allows a view of a rear-facing car seat.
FamCAM is available as part of a package called ‘Family Convenience Group’, which on a Touring L trim also includes; UConnect Theater with
Wireless Streaming. 10.1-in. seatback touchscreens, 115-volt auxiliary power outlet, wireless headphones, video remote controls, HDMI inputs, third-row USB charge port. USB ports, Blu-ray/DVD player and 220-amp alternator; KeySense, Stow ’n Vac*; hands-free sliding doors and liftgate; heated second-row seats and second-row one-touch windows.
You might also like, Chrysler Pacifica, The Ultimate Kid-Friendly Car.