Previous updates on the RAM
Five-time Motor Trend truck of the year, Ram trucks (formerly Dodge Ram) are now in their 4th generation. Here’s a brief overview of some of the changes that happened last year. 2017 seen changes in the way of a ‘RAM’ lettered front grill for Limited and Longhorn models as well as stamped on the tailgate. The UConnect 8.4″ touchscreen was added to models that previously didn’t have it, and the Laramie got more speakers. Special editions such as the Sublime Green Sport 1500 were added. The Night Edition was added which has black trim, grille, badging and 20″ aluminum-alloy wheels added to a Sport model. An Off-Road package was added as an option for 2500 trucks and the Power Wagon was updated with a black grille, retro graphics, larger tires (Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac’s) and the Off-Road package.
What’s changed for 2018
2018 will be the last year of the fourth generation RAM. Several special editions have been added, such as the Harvest Edition that matches Case International and New Holland farm equipment colors. (Read our article on the Harvest Edition here).The ultra-luxury, top of the line, Tungsten trim level is added, featuring a suede roof liner. Hydro Blue Sport special edition added…more on that below.
The biggest change for most of the 2018 RAM Trucks is the addition of Apple CarPlay and AndroidAuto to the latest 8.4″ Unconnect screen. The 8.4″ touchscreen also gains better resolution as well as touch pinch to zoom capability. The radio system goes HD and 4G LTE is available.
Also added for 2018 RAM Trucks;
- The Sport model gets an appearance update
- RAM Rebel’s (off -road 1500) now have the option of leather interior
- Sirius Guardian with SOS Call, Roadside Assistance, Remote Services, Send and Go, and Vehicle Finder
- Switch in the truck bed to turn on LED bed lights
- Backup camera standard on all models
- Telematics module available for Fleet customers (vehicle tracking)
Ecodiesel is back
The 3.0 liter EcoDiesel V-6 engine is back. After some hiccups with EPA about emissions controlling software, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the California Air Resources Board (CARB) has now approved the diesel engine for sale according to Car and Driver.
- 420 lb-ft torque
- Estimated 27mpg
- 8-Speed Auto Transmission
Hydro Blue Sport 1500
Mike Manley, Head of Jeep & Ram Brands says, “Enthusiasts demand that their trucks get noticed and our Ram 1500 Sport lineup delivers a durable, powerful alternative with great visual appeal”. Just like the Sublime Green Ignition Orange and Copper package Sport Editions, the Hydro Blue truck will get color-matching trim. Other features include;
- Black decal performance hood
- Body-color Sport grill
- RAM lettering on grill
- Matt black badging
- Black bezel projector headlamps and LEd tail lights
- Forged 20″ polished aluminum wheels (on 4×4)
- Blue stitching on the instrument panel, heated steering wheel, and door trim
- Blue colored ‘Sport’ embroidery accents
- Deluxe high back bucket seats with mesh inserts
- Anodized blue bezels on the instrument panel, center console, and door spears.
- Black headliner
- Leather an option
Lauren has been working in the automotive industry both in the U.K and in the U.S. for over 10 years. She has driven hundreds of vehicles, not only new cars but beaters without heaters, fast cars on fire, slow cars in snow, off-road trucks in the mucks, and old pickups with pups. She’s driven heaps of Jeeps, miles in muscle and once took her gran in a car from Japan.