What is Apple CarPlay?
CarPlay is software that was introduced by Apple in 2014. It enables easy integration of a smartphone in a vehicle. Apps such as navigation, music, phone and messaging are displayed on the vehicles center console screen. This means for vehicles that don’t have navigation software already built into the car, smartphone navigation can now be used. Text messaging can be done through voice commands and Pandora can also be used via the touch screen or voice commands.
Why is it a big deal for Toyota?
Toyota are one of the last manufacturers (but not the only one) to integrate Apple CarPlay in to their vehicles. CarPlay has been out for almost 4 years now, but Toyota insisted on sticking with their own version of propriety software (Entune or Enform).
Toyota announced this year that some vehicles WILL get Apple CarPlay, not wireless and not Android Auto compatible (the Google version for Android lovers). At least it’s a start though right?
Which vehicles will get Apple CarPlay?
2019 Toyota Avalon
The Toyota Avalon is a full size sedan. It will be an all new design for 2019 and it get’s Apple CarPlay as standard on all trim levels. Other technology included will be; WiFi hotspot, Qi Wireless charging, Toyota Remote Connect with Smartwatch, and Amazon Alexa Connectivity. The luxury sedan offered by Toyota, will go on sale in late Spring of 2018.
Quick facts about the 2019 Toyota Avalon:
- It’s a full size sedan
- 3.5 liter V-6 with 8-speed auto transmission or;
- Hybrid (Toyota Hybrid System II)
- Dynamic Auxiliary Turn Signals (lights where individual diodes light up one at a time, and one after the other, to create a sequential signal)
- Toyota Safety Sense P (TSS-P)
- Adaptive Variable Suspension
2019 Toyota RAV4
Also a new design for 2019, the RAV4 is an AWD compact SUV, that will also have Apple CarPlay as standard.
Quick facts about the 2019 Toyota RAV4
- AWD Compact SUV (seats 5)
- 2.5 liter VVT-iE engine or 2.5 liter with an 8-speed transmission or;
- Toyota Hybrid System II with E-CVT (Electronically-Controlled Continuously-Variable Transmission)
- Wheelbase is slightly longer than the previous model (by 1.2″)
- Amazon Alexa compatibility
- Multi-terrain select for off-road capability
- Dynamic Torque Vectoring with Rear Driveline Disconnect
2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback
Toyota’s quoted in a March 28th press release about the 19 Corolla hatchback, “Other standout features include standard TSS 2.0, a lightweight composite hatch, Entune 3.0 with WiFi Hotspot, Apple CarPlay and Toyota Remote Connect with Smartwatch and Amazon Alexa Connectivity. An Adaptive Front Lighting System and Qi Wireless Charging are also available”
2019 Toyota Corolla Quick facts;
- All new TNGA (Toyota New Global Architecture) powertrain and platform
- 2.0 liter 4 cylinder engine (168 hp, 151 lb-ft torque)
- CVT transmission with ‘launch gear’
- Available sport-tuned suspension
- Toyota Safety Sense 2.0 (inc new tech such as road sign assist and lane tracing assist to keep vehicle centered within the lane)
- Available 6-speed manual transmission with rev matching
For more information on anything Toyota, send us a message, or contact your preferred Toyota dealership.
Lauren has been working in the automotive industry both in the U.K and in the U.S. for over 10 years. She has driven hundreds of vehicles, not only new cars but beaters without heaters, fast cars on fire, slow cars in snow, off-road trucks in the mucks, and old pickups with pups. She’s driven heaps of Jeeps, miles in muscle and once took her gran in a car from Japan.