760 horsepower, 625 lb-ft. of torque is what this supercharged V-8 has in the new 2020 Mustang Shelby GT500!
It’s tempting to leave this article as just that one line above. If you’re a car person, you know exactly what those numbers mean.
Upon initial news that Ford will indeed be making another Shelby GT500, the only numbers they speculated were that the horsepower would be over 700. In order to compete with other straight-line muscle cars out there, Ford would need to exceed this number.
Ford says the Shelby GT500 is capable of 0-60 mph in the mid-3-second range and 1/4 mile drag strip times under 11-seconds.
This is the quickest street-legal Mustang ever.
“Carroll was always working on the next faster Shelby, I think he would love this Mustang more than any other,” said Jim Farley, Ford president, global markets. “A takedown artist, the new Shelby GT500 will surprise supercar owners with its Ford Performance racing tech, supercharged engine and visceral swagger.”
Hand built, the aluminum alloy engine is a 5.2 L V-8 with an inverted 2.65-liter roots-type supercharger and air-to-liquid intercooler.
Shifting in less than 100 milliseconds on the TREMEC 7-speed dual clutch transmission set up.
Drive modes include; normal, slippery, sport, drag and track. Through the in-car Track App, features such as line-lock (to warm up the tires) and launch control with selectable RPMs is available.
Other cool features on the 2020 Shelby GT500 include;
- 16.53″ two-piece SHW brake rotors (the largest front brakes on any American sports coupe)
- 6 piston Brembo fixed brake calipers
- High capacity oil pan with active baffling channels oil to the center sump.
- Next-generation MagneRide suspension.
- Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires or a more aggressive Pilot Sport Cup 2 tire is available.
- Double front grille with 50% more cooling than the GT350.
- An updated composite material rear diffuser.
- 31×28″ louvered hood vent has a removable aluminum rain tray for increased air extraction and downforce.
- Carbon fiber instrument panel applique.
- Suede door panel inserts with accent stitching.
- Available Recaro racing seats (with pass-through for harnesses).
- Painted stripes available
- Available Handling Package; Adjustable strut top mount and spoiler with Gurney flap.
- Available Carbon Fiber Track Package; 20″ carbon fiber wheels with 0.5″ wider wheels on the back (11.5″ wide), Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires, adjustable carbon fiber GT4 track wing, splitter wickers with integrated dive plane and rear seat delete to save weight.
New colors for 2020 include;Red Hot, Twister Orange, and Iconic Silver.
Prices start at $73,995 MSRP.
Ford Mustang Shelby GT500’s are due to arrive at dealerships in the Fall of 2019.
According to Ford Authority, an insider told them that production is limited to 5000 units, so if you want a 2020 Mustang Shelby GT500, find one and put your name on it quick.
Contact your preferred Ford Performance dealer for more info.