We are used to seeing law enforcement pickups here in truck country Wyoming. Have you ever noticed a Game and Fish, Sheriffs Dept or Police Dept pickup that is a Ford though? (Sheriff Longmire’s Bronco doesn’t count!) I personally don’t recall seeing any, but let me know if you have! That might change though. Ford has just released information saying that they are now going to release a pursuit-rated F-150 pickup.
The Ford F-150 Responder
The 2018 F-150 pursuit-rated pickup is called the F-150 Responder. It will be part pre-outfitted for law-enforcement use. Ford announced the features as;
- 240-amp alternator to power electrical loads (lights, computers etc.)
- Police calibrated speedometer
- Engine hour meter and engine-idle hour meter
- Heavy duty vinyl and flooring for easy cleaning
- FX4 off-road suspension
- Underbody skid plates
- Police calibrated brake system and upgraded calipers
- Heavy-duty cloth seats with anti-stab plates
- 4 wheel drive
- 3.5L Ecoboost (twin turbo) engine that puts out 375hp and 470 lb-ft of torque
“Ford’s 2018 F-150 Police Responder is the perfect all-terrain law enforcement vehicle,” said Stephen Tyler, Ford’s police brand marketing manager.
Will this work for Wyoming? What are your thoughts?
In the small print of the 2018 F-150 Responder fact sheet, it says that the pursuit rating is to be tested in official evaluations conducted by the Michigan State Police and Los Angeles County Sheriffs Department in Fall 2017.
“Media Log In.” Ford Reveals Industry’s First Police Pursuit-Rated Pickup Truck – the F-150 Police Responder | Ford Media Center. Ford, 20 July 2017. Web. 21 July 2017